Maarten was born and raised in The Netherlands, allowing him to explore Europe through backpacking and bike touring. At the age of 18, he moved to Ontario with his family to enjoy Canada’s natural wonders and embark on a new adventure.
Since moving to the Bow Valley in 2013, Maarten has been working through the ACMG program towards his IFMGA Mountain Guide certification. He is currently certified as an Apprentice Alpine Guide and enjoys guiding ice climbing throughout Alberta and British Columbia.
Maarten lives in Exshaw in the Bow Valley with his wife Lin and their cat Am. He has pursued ice and mixed climbing throughout North America, usually going for long walks to seek out new climbs. His travels have taken him beyond Alberta and British Columbia, to Quebec, Alaska, Morocco and Iceland.
• Canoeing to Cuba (IV WI5 M6, 500m), Mt. Storm; First ascent
• La Chenille (WI6+r M6 A0, 165m), W face of Acropole, Québec; First ascent
• Grand Central Couloir (V AI5 M5, 1200m), Mt. Kitchener
• Andromeda Strain, (V AI5 M6, 700m), Mt. Andromeda
• Zeitgeist, (IV+ M7- WI5r, 520m), Mt. Bell
• Northeast Ridge (V 5.10, 1000m), Mt. Alberta
• Greenwood/Jones (V 5.10, 1200m), Mt. Temple
• West Buttress (AK grade 2, 50°), Denali, 16hrs round trip from 14k' camp.
Ice & mixed climbing
• The Cod Delusion (WI6 M6+, 105m), Sault-au-Chochon, Québec; First ascent
• A Witch’s Brew (IV WI4 M5+, 330m), Icefields Parkway; First ascent
• Repentance (WI5 M6, 100m), Cathedral Ledge, New Hampshire
• The Asylum (WI5 M7, 180m), Kicking Horse Canyon, British Columbia
• Virtual Reality (WI6, 200m), Icefields Parkway
• Shooting Star (WI6, 200m), Icefields Parkway
• Kitty Hawk (WI5, 200m) & Unicorn (WI5 M7-, 100m), Icefields Parkway
• Pillier Simone Proulx (WI5, 200m), Côté Nord, Québec
• La Goutte (WI6, 50m), Mt. Rundle
• Rainbow Serpent (WI6, 100m), Ghost Wilderness